Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TeeJay626
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
What Lenses Should I Take?
5 months ago

Hello everyone.  First off, I am new to this forum and love it, but have visited the website for years.  Now that I finally have a DSLR, I'm going nuts with stuff I want for it.

Anyway, my main reason for finally buying a DSLR (Canon T3i) is every 2 years, my wife and I go to Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park.  Our main focus is wildlife, especially the more elusive species (wolves, bears, badgers, etc.).  This June will be our 4th trip and every time we've gone, I've bought new toys (read: cameras and optics).  I got my T3i in November, and it came with the usual 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS lenses.

I also inherited these lenses:  Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon 135mm Soft Focus f2.8, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC. I also recently purchased the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG OS and a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DGX 1.4x teleconverter.

When I visit Yellowstone this year, my photography focus will be wildlife, landscapes, macro shots of the wildflowers, and I want to get some Milky Way pics at night.  Based on this, I plan on bringing the 18-55, 55-250, 100 macro, 10-20 for landscapes, 70-300 and the teleconverter.

I really have no reason to bring the 135, but am debating on the 50mm f1.4.  I know many will say that I shouldn't bring both the 55-250 and the 70-300, but I plan to have the teleconverter mounted to the 70-300.

Any suggestions?  Am I bringing too much?  I also plan to buy the Ruggard Outrigger 65 backpack, and will still bring my Canon SX40 HS for the superzoom fun shots, and my Sony H55 P&S for my wife on hikes since it's so small and light and takes amazingly sharp pics.

Thanks!

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +6 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow