Back Button for Focus AND Exposure Lock?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
imperfectmind
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Back Button for Focus AND Exposure Lock?
4 months ago

I can't find anything on the internet about this, so it probably can't be done or else my google-fu is weak, but doesn't it make sense to be able to set the back button to lock both focus and exposure on release?

I only use the center point to focus, so I'm always locking focus and then re-composing. It seems natural that it should lock exposure wherever I released the button, because that's where I was focusing. There are some exceptions where I'd want the shot to be exposed somewhere besides the focus point, but those are rare.

Right now, the camera will continue to expose the shot depending on whatever setting I've put it on (matrix, center-weighted, etc), some time after the focus is locked all the way up until the shutter is pressed and released.

As it is, I have to assign another button (I use the preview button) for exposure lock and remember to press it at the same time I release the back button to lock focus, and then re-compose.

Does any other back-button focusers have this issue? Is there an elegant solution to it that I've missed?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow