Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ron_9
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,683Gear list
Like?
Sigma 24-105mm f4--I sent it back :-(
9 months ago

I really wanted this lens to work.  first I had it on order for approx 3 months and 2 or 3 deadlines for release passed so I canceled.  Then surfing one evening I found it on Amazon and ordered, got it, and lo and behold actually under exposed one full stop on my D800, but seemed alright on my D7100, so I sent it back.  found another on line and ordered, got it, tested and here's what I found.

I didn't have it long enough to do a pixel peek evaluation, nor would I, but my take is this.

A.------Built like a tank(I have or had almost all the Nikon glass and also currently  have the Sigma 18-35mm A, 17-50mm, and the 35mm F1.4 A) the build on this lens stands with the best

B.---Very fast focusing, right up there near the top

C.---OS worked well

D---82mm filter, not a good thing but not a game changer for me

E.--Large and heavy but not as large and heavy as 24-70 F2.8 nikon

F.--Seemed to be very sharp, and I wanted it for both FX and DX(36-157mm great reach)

G.  Did focus hunt in some fog and froze up once when doing snap shoot on geese flying overhead, had to pull battery for second.

H.  Not weather resistant, well I'm not ready to find that out, though would be handy here in the Northwest

I.---None before are game changers, this one is---it flares terribly.

Not just a ray off to the corner, or just shooting right at the sun, but anytime the sun is in any part of the frame(cloud covered or not), there is a huge round flare right in center of pict.  Impossible to clone or work out.  Since this lens was to be used primarily for landscape, that kills it for me.  I have the 70-200mm F4, and think it is an outstanding landscape lens, but sometimes wanted a bit more of a one lens solution.  Had the 24-120mm F4 Nikon but no magic, might have to revisit that, probably not.

This was not an anal certified test, so please don't try and make it so, just for info  ---ron s.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

ron_9's gear list:ron_9's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow