Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
patientfool
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
7D - Video - Focus, Image Stabilization, Sound
5 months ago

Does anyone have any advice/strategy on how to shoot movies on a 7D with image stabilization turned on while recording sound *without* picking up the constant gear noise that the 7D's internal microphone easily picks up?

I've been experimenting with shooting video and the two main challenges seem to be around focusing (auto focus doesn't exist) and image stabilization (built into the lens - if you turn it on). My current problem centers around the fact that turning on image stabilization seems to be a necessity to get halfway decent video for anything other then a completely static fixed camera shot, but recording sound becomes a challenge because of the constant gear noise picked up by the microphone. I am wondering what options I might have to get the camera not to record that gear noise that doesn't involve something like a detached boom microphone.

Mostly i'm trying to figure out if i can realistically use this camera to record family movies while on vacation. I think i can live with the lack of auto focus by pre-setting focus and zooming out to a more wide-angle, but the sound bit has me troubled since i need IS on.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow