Any tips for shooting with SEL1018?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
cdpinker
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Re: Any tips for shooting with SEL1018?
In reply to fysloc, 9 months ago

Getting focus right isn't any different with this lens than any other, but you'll need to follow good practice for landscape focussing (e.g. lower apertures, focussing 1/3rd into the scene, use tripods etc).

For me, the most important thing to get right with this lens is the composition. Its wide angle fits so much into the scene that you have to be really careful to create a strong composition. Also, the closer you get to 10mm, the smaller everything in the middle will appear - a very important thing to remember when composing a shot.

The best thing I read was by Ken Rockwell when he explained the basic rule - these lenses are not for 'fitting more in' - your image will be weak if you use them that way. Use them to exaggerate depth and perspective in creative ways.

Here's probably the favourite image I've taken so far with this lens:

Maldives Sunset

cdpinker's gear list:cdpinker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow