Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael 2012
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Fun for £4.00 ($6.70)...
5 months ago

It's been a while since I last posted - Guess I didn't have anything interesting to say

Anyway, thought I would pass on details of my 'best buy of the month'. I picked up an el-cheapo reverse macro ring for my old manual 50mm f1.7 lens - Spur of the moment purchase from eBay and I had no idea what I would do with it, but for £4 I thought it might be fun.

Anyway, got a chance to play with it today (indoors only) and had a great time. I don't have any lenses that have macro capability, so this is a new field of photography for me - All for the price of Pint of beer + a bag of crisps

Live view is an absolute boon , with no metering possible I selected the aperture on the lens and used shutter speed to adjust the brightness of the live view image (and occasionally remembered to peak at the histogram).

Is it as good as a proper macro lens? Well, probably not and it's a lot more work to get the photo, (focusing consisted of me moving the whole camera back and forth). However, for 4 quid I had a great time doing something I hadn't tried before, and for me that's part of my love of photography.

King regards,

Michael.

First picture is with the 50mm connected normally, just to give you an idea of scale.

Here's the point of the pin with my lens reversed. Best viewed large:

Michael 2012's gear list:Michael 2012's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow