Value of 'professional' Photographers to other professions.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Value of 'professional' Photographers to other professions.
5 months ago

To use an old phrase: Photography is a funny old game.

I've just spent 2 days and lots of miles, working up a tender for photography on a crumbling old Irish stately mansion. The building is a big old country house in its park, unoccupied for a decade and in need of major restoration. The job requires a complete photo survey inside and out (it has 40 rooms) and a roof-structural survey for the planners to consider the renovation application. I'm looking at 500+ images and the balloon aerials of the surroundings as well.

I've just put in what I think is a competitive tender to the architect firm for a weeks work plus aerials plus travel. It's 100km away from me. The managing partner from the firm rang me back within the hour and his opening line was 'You are taking the p*ss with this tender aren't you..?'

We had a conversation about hourly rates. It transpires his is 3 times mine but he still reckons I'm overcharging but he justifies his by stating he's a professional! The suggested cost figure to me would pay me slightly less than the legal minimum wage but I'm still expected to deliver a top notch professional service AND give unrestricted copyright use of the pictures to the architect -developers.

I'm not going there for either the rate or specifically the insistence on transfer of copyright.

We ended the conversation on a Siberian note. He put the 'phone down on me.

I'm asking the Pro's here how you deal with this type of client? I'm relatively new to commissions by developers-architects and need a steer on how you deal with these guys. I've also not had an issue with copyright before and am careful to provide a lawyer drafted document with any submission explaining how the image copyright works.

-- hide signature --

'Being conspicuous in wartime attracts the attention of the enemy. In barracks it attracts Sergeants...' US Infantry training manual.

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow