COLD: A few from Lake Erie

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?
Re: COLD: A few from Lake Erie
In reply to capturef22, 6 months ago

Nice shots, Capture.

A bit OT, but maybe not... I was watching the CBS Evening News last night and they had a segment on the ONE business that's been LOVING this extra-snowy winter: SALT MINERS. The salt mine and miners they interviewed were from a mine near Cleveland (I didn't know there was one there -- looked like a BIG mine). It went about 1,800 feet below ground, and the section they're currently mining is directly BENEATH Lake Erie. I have no idea how deep Lake Erie is, nor how thick and stable the surface below it is (bedrock, or whatever), but one must wonder what it might take for the lake to collapse into a huge salt mine like that, thus reducing the standard level of the lake, flooding other areas and, of course, making it a SALT lake.

It's sort of like the questions about fracking. Geologists and the industry say it's safe, yet an area of Oklahoma that's having a lot of fracking done and usually has only about 230 minor tremors per year had 430 in JANUARY 2014, ALONE.

I don't think we know as much as we think we do when we go messing around with "mother nature."

At least, however, there are folks like you who can still get good pics of the wildlife.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow