Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DLeeT
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
Dirt Cheap Telephotos
8 months ago

There was a recent post on inexpensive telephotos. Well, this post is on REALLY inexpensive telephotos. I've posted something similar to this before, but with all the new guys, thought would do it again.

Really good telephoto lenses are expensive, so for someone who is just thinking about exploring wildlife photography, it seems prohibitive to even give it a try. One option, is to rent a lens and another is to pick up a cheap zoom.

I chose the later and picked up a cheap Canon FD 75-200/4.5. These and similar lenses are shunned by almost everyone and can be bought for less than 50 USD on eBay.

For those new to the idea of legacy glass, you need an adapter which sell for around 20 USD. Also, no IS or AF and you have to set the aperture manually. But the nice thing about these lenses is they let you give wildlife photography a try for next to no investment AND they will teach you a lot about shooting technique which will stand you in good steed if you get hooked on wildlife and decide to upgrade to better glass.

None of the below shots are going to give Danny any competition, but keep in mind I paid 35 USD for this lens in excellent condition -- and for that, perhaps not too bad?

Cheers, Lee

DLeeT's gear list:DLeeT's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow