Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?
HS50 no good in low light
9 months ago

I hear many criticisms of the HS50, but how many of them are justified? I have read the recent threads of HS50 vs X-S1. My choice would have been the X-S1 but when I was buying a replacement for my HS20 here in Australia the X-S1cost $724 (unbelievably it still does!) against $425 I paid (online) for the HS50 import. X-S1's quality build and slightly larger sensor would have suited me down to the ground but the cost didn't justify it. I bought the HS50 sight unseen thinking it would be a great step forward from my HS20 that I really enjoyed. It turned out to be a very different beast, (add to that the first one I got was a lemon - it couldn't focus half the time) so it took me a while to like it's replacement. My second HS50 also has focus problems but I can live with them - I know how to help it when it loses the focus plot. Most of my problems are to do with low light photos - but can I, like so many others, blame the camera? Let's face it, the HS50 is a cheap bridge camera not a DSLR - what do people expect? The two following photos are far from perfect (Hand held SOOC except for resize) but can you find a camera at a similar price that can do any better?

Under the Riverside Freeway. Seems to be reasonable detail to me.

Danaus Hamatus in a very shady spot.

Look at the EXIF in the butterfly shot; ISO400 1/20Sec F5.6 about 800mm zoom. I don't post small pics - if you want to pixel peep feel free they really aren't too bad for a tiny sensor in poor light.

I wish people on this forum would just enjoy their hobby/art/work and get back to posting images that many will enjoy instead of getting bogged down in futile subjective argument that serves no purpose. I feel it has got to the point where some very talented photographers on this forum are afraid to show their work for fear of criticism. I am always ready to learn from my mistakes and improve my technique from constructive criticism - so lets get this forum back to a healthy and happy one.

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
labe MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow