Which is better, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VrI, or 70-200 f4?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bitingimpression
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Which is better, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VrI, or 70-200 f4?
9 months ago

I am still debating whether  i need f2.8 or not, but things that are important to me are image quality and focus speed.

First of all, which has better image quality? I shoot on a Dx sensor, so vinginetting on the 2.8 shouldn't be a problem. Vinginetting is also auto corrected in lightroom 5. If one or the other is better, then, is there a BIG difference between the image quality between the two?

Secondly, I know the 2.8 offers an extra stop of light, but will the VRIII on the F4 compensate for the loss of shutter speed compared the 2.8's VrI? What I mean is, without Vr, the 2.8 would be able to be hand held at the hypothetical number of 1/15, while the f4 requires 1/30. If I turned the vr on, on both of them, would the VrIII on the F4 make the shutter speed same as the shutter speed on the F2.8's VrI?

Third, I know that the 70-200 f4's auto focus is faster, but how much faster is it? Is it a notibily large difference?

Lastly, Is it worth spending 300 dollars more on the F4? Right now, the F4 is being sold for $1400, but I know that I could get my hands on a used 2.8 VrI for $1100 in moderate condition.

I will probably shoot indoors and outdoors, and the VRII is out of the question (wayyy too much money), so please don't mention that. I forgot one thing, Weatherproofing, both have it right?

Very last, How does the sigma and tamron(new version) compare to the other 2 in image quality, focus speed, and weatherproofing, and the sigma OS/Tamron VC? Is it worth spending 400 dollars extra for a Tamron compared to the Nikon Vr1 for 1100 dollars? I am a Sophmore in highschool, so even 20 dollars seems like a lot of money to me, and I honestly dont want to spend over 1200 on the 70-200 unless the important things i mentions are really significant. I appreciate any help. Thank you

Bitingimpression's gear list:Bitingimpression's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow