ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,384Gear list
Like?
My thoughts on Steve Huff's thoughts on the Nikon Df
5 months ago

original here

It's nice to hear from someone who likes the Nikon Df. It's a change. It's good. The trick is to make it look like you've actually thought through your position. To illustrate, let me give my thoughts on the Hasselblad Stellar, written in the same style:

"The Stellar is a great camera. It's small and light, and has the highest resolution APS-C sensor currently on the market. The kit lens is well-built and convenient, and the grip looks great and is really solid. There are lots of external controls, and it is compatible with all Sony E mount lenses. I liked it so much I bought two!"

Which might be all fair and true but if you are thinking "but what about the NEX7?" then congratulations, we are on the same page.

Just as you can't ignore the NEX7 (and 6, and A6000) when talking about the Stellar, you can't ignore the D600/610 when talking about the Df. If you want to recommend the Df as a great camera, fine, but there needs to be some rationalization, however flimsy, in relation to the closest point of reference.

The D600 is cheaper, has a better sensor (DxO), is cheaper, has a better grip, and is very nearly the same size and weight. The D600 shoots video (natch) and has just about feature parity with the Df. Works about as well with manual focus lenses. And you don't have to mess with the crazy lock dials.

The Df has better high ISO (6400+), works with Non Ai lenses, and matches the old lenses better is both style and function. I'm sorry but I'm trying really hard to "get" this, but this is all I'm able to manage right now...

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +6 more
Nikon D600 Nikon Df Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow