Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blulegend
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600
Like?
X100S goes to Iceland and figuring out that the X100S isn't for me
10 months ago

I was debating really hard whether or not to take the X100S as my only camera to Iceland, a once-in-a-lifetime type trip. What made it easier was that I had already ditched my APS-C DSLR gear to try to focus on the X100S and to get some new inspiration.

So after 1 week in Iceland, I have mixed feelings about it. My shooting style didn't seem to match the X100S. I don't tend to plan too well for shots. Or if I do, I forget to make sure my settings are all perfect before putting the camera up to eye level. So I tend to have to take the camera back down or mess with the settings with the camera up. Fortunately, I usually just use A priority and Auto-ISO. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a quick way to force WB, Exposure, ISO, focus-lock all at once before taking a series of shots for stitched panos. There's probably an easy way, but I didn't have time to figure it out on the trip (blame the user).

I think the lighting was weird, because although I had 0.7-1EV exp comp all the time, many of the shots came out underexposed. Good thing there is a lot of latitude for pushing the images, even the JPGs, which I took. Yes, I know, once-in-a-lifetime, I should have used RAW. I never use RAW and it's just not part of my workflow.

The weather was wild. Cold, and at times, also wet. The camera worked well and I don't think I needed to switch to my backup battery mid-day. I only took at most 100 shots a day.

I realized, I really missed some form of image stabilization. So many of my shots were blurry. I normally have no trouble shooting at 1/30-1/60, but the wind was crazy. I didn't change my Auto-ISO settings because frankly, it was a pain to change it back and forth with the ridiculous control wheel spinning thing or even using the Q menu. Especially when wearing gloves. Also, the shutter itself is very "clicky".

The wide angle adapter is pretty nice, but for the modest gain on the wide end, the price and the weight, I don't think it's worth it.

Compared to the weight of a DSLR kit, I was golden. Being able to simply unzip my jacket, put the camera under the jacket and then zip up again was so easy.

Things I wish I had were weather sealing, a tilting screen, faster menus, a battery and memory card compartment accessible while a tripod plate is on, image stabilization, and a better autofocus system.

So now that I'm home, I decided to move along and go back to an interchangeable lens system. But I still have a growing series of shots I really like that I am slowly getting through from my trip.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

1/60 f/4.5 ISO200 19 mm, stitched from 6 frames, handheld

For the slowly growing set on Flickr: Iceland - a set on Flickr with the Fuji X100S

-- hide signature --

-Jack
==================
http://blupic.com

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow