Pentax interview pretty clear about FF inevitability....

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Philnw2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?
Re: For all the FF hype, the estimated FF percentage seems stagnent for this year
In reply to petreluk, 6 months ago

petreluk wrote:

Philnw2 wrote:

Yes, but that hasn't stopped FF fans from insisting that we all must move to FF cameras. I agree with you, cost is very much of a factor. When this is pointed up to the FF fans, they then switch to the assertions that costs are going down on chips, as always. It seems so silly that whenever i ask what estimate will proponents make regarding the size of the FF share of ILCs, that folks stop talking about FF. I've gotten far more opinions that the FF share size is not going to get much larger anytime soon than the opposite. In fact when i mentioned my est. of FF share was to be 15% at the end of 2014, i was told that's probably too high.

Surely Nikon, Canon and Sony are estimating their returns on investment in FF.

While the share of FF cameras may be pretty low, Canon and Nikon may be doing quite well by, in effect, pushing everyone towards using FF lenses which must account for a large proportion of their total sales. Obviously they do also sell APS-C-only lenses but they don't seem to be developing their portfolio of those in the way they are developing their porfolio of FF lenses. One guesses this produces a simpler system for them with less overheads all round. Who knows, but perhaps it is also a factor. This is a nice little add-on which benefits incumbents rather than those like Sony who have to produce lens portfolios almost from scratch.

I agree that we don't really know. But things don't look convincing to me that todays DSLR owners are rushing to buy into FF. 9 out of 10 ILC sales are not going to the majority of the camera models in Nikon Land. Nikon must have at least 6 FF camera models - lets see theres the D4, the D4s, the D800, the D800s, the D610, and the Df, thats 6 models. But they sell 9 times that combined number of sales with the D7100 and the D5300. 4 or 5 months ago, they had what seemed to be a huge sale of lenses. I don't know for sure, but it seems that Nikon is putting most of their efforts into camera models that are selling the least. Don't follow Canon so don't know what is happeing there. I'm selling prints from the pictures i make with my now K5 and K3, so don't know what all the fuss is about with FF - just more weight and size for me to lug around, IMHO. I have yet to have a customer pixel peep one of my canvas pictures, and some i enlarged to 20x30, one i enlarged to 24x36 and sold for $350 - not a lot of money but not bad for someone without a gallery to sell from. Its just a hobby for me.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Pentax K-3(Best APS Camera) Nex 6, 5n, Epson R3000, 3880

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow