Wide angle for A7/R?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,427Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle for A7/R?
In reply to Godfrey, 5 months ago

Godfrey wrote:

It's a matter of choices. I don't want lenses that I have to do color shift corrections just to get a normal image to work with. It complicates all the rendering work. If you're willing to add that to your image processing workflow, sure.

For me, I'd much rather have the Elmarit-R 19/2.8 or Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S. Neither of them show any color shifting and they focus a lot closer without needing a complicated mount adapter. They produce results as good or better than the Voigtländer. The Nikkor is available for a good bit less money too, $450-$800 for a clean example.

The A7, for me, is a one-size-fits-all SLR replacement for almost any SLR lenses, not a Leica M replacement. Far as I'm concerned, most M-mount RF lenses should be used on a camera designed to work with them specifically.

-- hide signature --

Hey, let's not make blanket statements like "most M-mount RF lenses should be used on a camera designed to work with them specifically." If we're talking about 1950s Biogon type wide angles that nearly touched the focal plane shutter, yeah, they would not be good.

As long as distance between the lens mount and the sensor are correct, I'm not sure the sensor knows whether the lens is from a rangefinder or an SLR.

My 1981 35mm f1.4 Summilux M performs on my A7 with precisely the same strengths and weakness it does on my M4P (charitably termed "dreamy" wide open, sharp as a tack across the frame by f2.8-4); my 1982 50mm f2 Summicron M and 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit perform even better on digital sensors than they did on film. And when I bought them, they were cheap (e.g. $325 for the Summilux) because no one wanted them. Consumer and pro SLRs were the rage.

As a matter of fact, the A7 appears after 2 weeks in my hands to be a perfect Leica M replacement - for all its issues, it appears superior to the M8 and M9 with their endless firmware upgrades just to make passible images. And it is MUCH smaller than even my M4P!

I agree on rangefinder wide angles - I can't imagine why there is such a desire to shoot wide angle rangefinder lenses on A7/r cameras, anyway. At their pinnacle back in the 1980s, they were optically challenged, to put it mildly, useful for journalism, not landscapes or cityscapes. But let's not lump those lenses with longer focal lengths, which perform brilliantly on the A7.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow