Wide angle for A7/R?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeff2013
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle for A7/R?
In reply to stevo23, 7 months ago

My Samyang (Rokinon) 14mm f2.8 that I have for my D800E is stunning on the A7R - sharp edge to edge at f5.6... and no color shift problems.  It has mustache distortion, but that is completely corrected in ACR with the correction profile downloaded from Adobe.  Also, when shooting, I calculate the hyper-focal distance for a given f-stop and then just preset the lens, so there is no focusing.  Just point and shoot.

The best intermediary solution would be the Sony 10-18mm because it is so small and light, with great IQ.  I'm kicking myself as I sold mine with my NEX-7, not realizing that it works great from 12-16mm on the A7R.  With its new life on the A7 series, the used prices for this lens are now nearly what new prices are.  Ugh!

Of course, the best solution would be to hold-out for the FE 16-35mm f4 lens that is expected to be released some time this year.

Someone suggested taking linked panorama shots and stitching them together for a composite shot.   That is what I do with the FE 55mm f1.8  (or FE 24-70mm) when I do not feel like carrying the Samyang - the 55mm is so unbelievably sharp that I could print giant billboards with the composited final image.

Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow