Wide angle for A7/R?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,805Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle for A7/R?
In reply to iullian, 10 months ago

iullian wrote:

Now, there are enough owners and testers, so an answer must be out there.

I will be travelling through the capitals of some European countries and I want to travel light.

So, in addition to my FE 35/2.8 and FE 55/1.8, which wide should I seek for?

- light and relative small

- sharp when stopped down

- easy to correct in PP or already optically corrected (you know, architecture is the main photography during this trips).

Tall order - I would encourage 24mm if this is your primary plan. At 21mm and beyond, you need some shift or the architecture starts to have some wild perspective convergence. At 24mm, everything is more manageable.

The ones I'm thinking of are:

- Voigtlander 15/4.5 - I saw some corrected photos taken with A7 and it looked promising

Works well on the A7 - doesn't always require correction. But for architecture, it's going to make everything converge like crazy. Low distortion, light, a lot to commend it. But the convergence - ouch. And quite a bit of softness in the corners.

- Voigtlander 21/1.8 - expensive solution, but...

Actually a nice lens.

- Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 (T3.5) - correctable in PP, but on the huge side

Too much perspective to shift.

- Sony 20/2.8 - I have not seen any photos in combination with A7/R

That Sony's a good lens - a resurrected Minolta. But it's going to be bulky and heavy with the adapter.

Here is a good post about it:

http://www.leica-boss.com/2013/12/your-a7r-wants-a-wide-angle-lens-what-do-you-do/

You can also consider many DSLR lenses because they will stand off the flange a bit and avoid most of the color shades and smearing. Things like Rokkor 24mm and others come to mind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow