Any other camera that is like the X100s?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thechoson
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Any other camera that is like the X100s?
8 months ago

I purchased an X100s a couple of weeks ago, one of the big reasons was to get into street photography - it was a genre I'd long admired and wanted to try, but didn't have the guts to do so.  So far, the camera has lived up to its reviews as a great street camera.  I was worried because of its retro look it might attract MORE attention, but just like most people say, people don't seem to notice it, I think they think of it more as a fashion accessory than something I'm going to use to take pictures of them, haha.  The silent leaf shutter is also a godsend, and I'm starting to enjoy and get used to the 35mm fov.  I'm a naturally shy/ non-confrontational person, so this X100s has been terrific in getting me into street photos.

I decided to see how it felt taking a DSLR for street shooting this morning, and it was not a good experience.  People seemed to notice and stare at me more, plus although it's not a loud camera, the shutter to me still felt like a gunshot going off compared to the X100s.  Made me pretty self-conscious.  Also, the X100s is much better for manual focusing/ zone focus.

I find that the IQ difference between the X100s and my DSLRs isn't THAT much, it's just the other stuff that I mentioned that makes the big difference for me.

I'm getting into street photography and enjoying it so much I want to get a backup camera for my X100s.  Something slightly less pricey.  I know the obvious choice is to get a used X100, but ideally I want something with interchangeable lens capability or a built-in zoom lens so I can experiment with different focal lengths.  So is there a camera out there that's a good choice, something that comes close to the X100s's blend of discreet, quiet, and usability with the ability to change or zoom lens?

I was thinking maybe XE-1, NEX-6, or a compact like X20 or RX-100.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow