Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dmjqjs
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Going to the next level... need advice.
9 months ago

A short background. I have taken photos most of my life. Did some photo shoots with friends in high school with a point and click. Took 4 college courses. I currently own a Nikon D90 which I have been using professionally. So far, I have been paid to shoot a newborn, a toddler's first and second birthday party, a band portrait shoot in the city, a band's indoor live performance, a couples shoot in the city, a storytelling guitarist in a library...

My heart is in the fine arts and I hope to eventually make a career out of my own bodies of work, but for now, I am finding paid work to push me towards that goal.
The gear I own at the moment is a Nikon D90, a 35mm 1.8, a 85mm 1.8, a camera bag and a mid-grade tripod.

This year, I am looking to upgrade my body and lenses. I am looking at the Nikon D800 for the body. I know that I need a decent zoom. I would like to go for something like a 70-200 zoom. This will be good for shoots such as weddings.

My ultimate love as a photography is using the available light... and the ability to shoot in very low-light situations. My D90 is very sub-par with low-light. Also, I am wanting to be able to shoot larger images that can be printed at poster size or more.

Other than the above shoots I mentioned and the weddings, I am interested in just about every photographic genre including landscape, wildlife, pets, still life, portraits of all types, architecture... you name it.

As to budget, I do not need 100% top-of-the-line at this point, but I want something above mid-grade for sure. I do not know an exact budget, and so at this point, I am wanting to choose my gear and see what the total cost is and then go from there.

Thanks for any advice and if there is any more information that you need, feel free to ask any questions and I will respond promptly.

Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow