X-S1 first impressions (and versus a HS50)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705Gear list
Like?
X-S1 first impressions (and versus a HS50)
10 months ago

I managed to get out for a short walk this afternoon, and got to try out the X-S1 for the first time.

This post is just to give my initial impressions as comments, I'll post some photos later once I get time to sort some comparisons.

Right, the initial impressions were very good indeed. It had a nice feel to it, and has a good feeling of quality - it's not too dissimilar to holding a proper DSLR. The lens is nice and smooth, and very easy to control throughout the zoom. I love the 'rubberised' finish.

Regarding the known issues. I took about a hundred pictures today, with many of them containing points of bright light, but no orbs seem to be evident to my eyes. The lens also feel OK to me, just a slight amount of movement at full zoom, but no more than I'd expect from any long zoom lens, and about the same as I had with my Olympus Zuiko lenses. The creep is a bit of a pain though, and this one does slide quite readily. I'm sure a dubber band of some kind would sort that, should the need arise.

On my short walk I started off in full Auto EXR mode, and then switched to 'P' mode halfway around (still on DR Auto), then switched to DR100 at the end for the last few shots.

I've done some basic processing of the images, and it was immediately noticeable how much these images differ from the HS50 ones. There is much more colour depth, and less noise, and they have 'something' about them (almost like the 'x' factor I used to see with the Olympus E-1) that makes them stand out. For image quality, there is no contest here, the X-S1 is a winner. There is still some sign of the 'painting' effect, but nothing like as bad as the HS50 (although this might be a Lightroom phenomenon when attempting to apply sharpening and noise reduction).

I did notice the slower operation between shots though, but for my needs, it's no deal breaker, and no worse than any other 'compact' digital I've used before. I think it depends on the processing that's going on (whether it selects the 'SN' mode, for example, and is processing multiple images).

I had no issues with AF/AE at all, and only had a couple of fuzzy shots that were my fault for hitting the shutter without getting focus confirmation - nothing different to any other camera I've used. Overall AF/AE speeds seem on a par with the HS50 if anything.

I've yet to discover one thing, I was unable to shoot Raw+JPEG in EXR-Auto mode, despite this being a 'ticked' option in the owners manual.

Anyway, after one trip out, I'm already convinced that this is a far better camera than the HS50, and is what I should have bought last year. I'll post some photos, and more opinions as I use this more.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using FujiFilm HS50EXR and Apple iMac 27" 3.2GHz

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus E-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow