Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
My Opinion of the Nikon Df......
7 months ago

if you care. Anyway, after analyzing everything I could about the camera I've come to the conclusion that it is arguably Nikon's best camera, depending on what you use it for. I've recently bought (in Dec) a D610 which I love for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is it's overall balanced performance. The Df though has some very special attributes if you're a photographer who needs, or wants them. While it's dynamic range may not be stunning initially at higher ISO's it is very decent, better than most of the rest. It's high ISO noise performance is from everything I've seen better than anything else if only by a small amount. Still, better is better.

So when you look at it objectively if you're a high ISO shooter there really is nothing better, and maybe nothing else as good. The retro look, and controls have obviously put quite a few off, but really, who cares. If you like retro this may be your dream camera, and if not you have a choice. Either don't buy it, or buy it, and live with the retro look, and different controls. Now I know a few will grumble about  ancillary things like features, or auto-focus, this, that, or the other. Those things are not nearly as important as image quality.

One day cameras will look very different than they do today, and someone will produce a retro 2014 style camera, and you guys who hate the looks of the Df, will be buying them up out of nostalgia, while most 2034 photographers attack your choice, and denigrate the camera. Think not, just wait.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon D610 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow