Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?
Moving backward in cameras?
10 months ago

In the last 8 months, I have purchased a Canon Pro 1, Canon A710IS & A720IS, Panasonic FZ150 & ZS6, Canon S95, and finally, a Canon SX230HS.  My wife is beginning to notice the traffic and I'm on first name terms with the UPS and FedEx drivers!

My "nostalgia trip", the Pro 1, was given to my daughter in late December, the FZ150 & ZS6 are being sold, and the A710IS is a backup for my wife's.

The S95  is an upgrade (a small one) to my S90, now also being sold; and the A720IS now lives in my car.  The AA Energizer lithium batteries make it ideal for car use as they do not self-discharge sitting in the camera for prolonged periods - like 2-3 years.

It's not so much that I have a "thing" about older models; I also have a G15 and an FZ200; but in the case of the S95 and SX230HS there really is not a newer model that works as well for me.  The ZS6 which is being sold is my last attempt to find a travel zoom that works better for me than the ideosyncratic SX230HS.  Obviously, it too, missed the cut along with a selection of newer and older Panasonic and Canon models.

So what is it about the SX230HS that makes it the winner?  First, I don't do video.  Second, 28 mm is wide enough for my use.  So that eliminates some of the "features" that make newer models desireable to other folks.  Also, 392 mm equivalent focal length is plenty.  The big benefits for me are: 1) the fastest lens in the class; 2) a very sharp lens that's crisp corner to corner; 3) very good noise control and retention of detail at ISO 1600; 4) Canon color; and 5) a full range of settings for sharpness, contrast, saturation, and even flash exposure compensation.

THe SX230HS is a great stills camera.  Of course, there are those ideosyncracies: the flash that insists on popping up, the lack of a front grip combined with its used-bar-of-soap shape, use of the mode dial as the rear thumb rest, and a 3" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio.  I just trained myself to keep my left index finger on the flash at turn on, so it never pops up.  A Flip-bac G2 silicone rubber stick on front grip fixes that issue, and using the camera set to 3:2 makes the rear LCD much nicer to use.  Besides, for the things I use the SX230HS for, 3:2 works better for 4" x 6" prints.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow