HS30 EXR - Some Thoughts and Some Pix ...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,857Gear list
Like?
HS30 EXR - Some Thoughts and Some Pix ...
7 months ago

... After my S100fs was stolen, I bought an HS30 EXR. Why ? I had the HS10 previously and, whilst not the greatest of cameras, it was fun to use and I got many very good images from it. Not great, but very good. I thought the HS30 EXR (two models on) would be greatly improved.

I didn't buy it as an S100 fs replacement, simply a stop gap measure until I found something which did all the S100 fs did. Never did find that.

Keep in mind that I shoot Raw + Jpeg and the HS10 took an age to write when set as such.

So, I was expecting better things from the HS30 EXR but was disappointed to find that it delivered nothing better.

Anyway, I shot a few hundred images with it and then along came the HS50 EXR and I bought one. Chalk and Cheese.

When the HS30 EXR is set to Raw + Jpeg it takes about 2-3 seconds to write the image to the card. Once the buffer is cleared, the second shot will take 5-6 seconds. During this time there is also no way to access Menu settings.

Not so with the HS50 EXR. Shoot, re-shoot, re-shoot. The Menu is also (almost) instantly accessible. Also, apart from the usability, it is also far more robust and ergonomically friendly.

Mind you, there is very discernible difference in IQ. The HS50 EXR is better in that has almost no chroma noise though and no CA. The HS30 EXR has both.

So, the HS30 EXR got handed off to the better half, who incidentally prefers her iPhone, and then the HS30 EXR gathered dust.

Anyway, long story short, my friend (Electric Bill) has an HS30 EXR and gets excellent images from it. Using the same settings as he, I am still disappointed. However, in the past few weeks I have deliberately left the HS50 EXR at home and gone out with the HS30 EXR, determined to get a little more out of it.

Below are just a few of the most recent images. These are either processed from Raw or are the Jpeg simply sharpened.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

FujiFilm FinePix HS10 (FinePix HS11) Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow