Best all round lens (for shooting in Hawaii...)

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
exdriver
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
Best all round lens (for shooting in Hawaii...)
9 months ago

Hey everyone! (And thanks for the all the help in my last post)

I kind of have an idea about what I should get, but I wanted to double check with everyone here first.

I'm going to be having my wedding and Honeymoon in Hawaii this summer and I'm looking for a new lens to replace my kit 18-55 and compliment my primes. I own the cheapo 50mm f/1.8 and the more expensive 85mm f/1.8. I've mostly shot with my primes lately, and left the kit lens alone. For my honeymoon I want to take a lot more candid and daily life shots instead of taking a lot of time to set each up. I also don't want to be carrying a lens bag around the whole time.

So I guess I'm basically looking for a lens that I can keep on my body that will cover anything from landscapes (oceans / mountains / gardens), to downtown buildings, to indoor shots, to food, etc.

I know it's asking for a lot out of a single lens, but what does everyone think would be the best? I've never shot in a sunny tropical area before, and a lot of our plans are up in the air. I just want to be able to get some great shots that we will be able to look back on.

So through all my research I am thinking about getting the:

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM << I can pick it up NEW for about $290 USD.

The other contenders that I was weighing it against were the:

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM

(price is almost double @$780 USD and no Optical Stabilization)

&

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM

(Also about double the price @750 USD, and I believe no O.S. on this lens either)

I'm not set in stone on the sigma 17-50, so I am totally open to other suggestions, but it seems like price per performance it's the absolute winner. With my plans though, what does everyone else think? I really just want to be able to get some great shots on the fly.

P.S. I'm shooting with a 550D, and if I do just go for the sigma 17-50, I'm also considering selling the 550D and spending a bit more to upgrade to the 650D, or 700D mostly for the better AF and slightly for the articulating screen.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance! I really do feel like I've done my homework this time around.

-Ex

exdriver's gear list:exdriver's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow