Flakey index finger dial on 5D mkii - what to do?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gglad
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Flakey index finger dial on 5D mkii - what to do?
8 months ago

On my 5D mkII the index finer dial (just behind the shutter button) has lost it's ability to turn to the right. It feels like the rubber part of the dial you actually touch and turn with your finger is not totally attached to whatever mechanical inner part it is wrapped around and supposed to turn. When I turn it to the left it "clicks" at each detent and works fine- but when I turn it to the right there is no clicking and I can feel it slipping smoothly around. If i "flick" it to the right sometimes it will catch a few detents and register how ever many clicks it made- so I can "flick" it to the right to get the ISO to shoot way up to a high value, and then turn it back to the left and accurately turn it back down however many notches to get what I want. But it is super cumbersome when trying to shoot in dynamic situations.

Is it worth sending the body in for service (out of warranty) for a problem like this that I can otheriwse "live" with? Is this potentially serviceable myself? If I pinch hard on the rubber dial ring I can see that it will stretch out a bit to reveal the axle around which it sits- maybe there is some kind of adhesive I could get down onto that so the ring binds better to it?

Anyone else ever had this issue?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow