ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
METABONES EF Adatper: CAUTION!!!
8 months ago

Hi guys,

Recently got my own Metabones EF adapter to mount my Canon L glass to my A7R.
It works well, but I have some concerns about the fit and finish of the product itself.

The fit is TIGHT on the canon EF end. Metabones says this is normal, and it is partially due to the tension of the leaf springs, which can be taken out and reshaped. However, this is only 50% of the problem.

The other 50% of the problem is the finish. My adapter, had burrs and very sharp edges when comparing to the canon camera mount itself which has more beveled edges. I took it apart twice. Once, to remove the burrs which cured most of my roughness. And a second time to buff every hard edge, as some of those two, were not well finished and had what I would call, micro burrs or rough edges that were not visible to my eye. I did so with 1500 grit sand paper. It took hours.

Before realizing the entire issue, this little jewel really tore up the chrome finish on my 40mm STM. Luckily, it wasn't any of my L lenses that were mounted a bunch of times, all of which do have some slight wear due to this,  but none mounted more than once or twice and don't show too much.

So, I caution you: If your lenses mount VERY tight, INSPECT ALL EDGES! If they are rough enough to catch a fingernail, write Metabones for a new mount, or buff them down. Do not take Metabones word alone that a tight fit is normal (so they say in their FAQ) and ignore it for your own sake!! Again, inspect for rough spots.

Meanwhile, I did get someone on Monday tell me they would send me out a new mount, but no confirm on something being put in the mail. Hopefully they come though with something that is fully finished. I think this is appalling for something that sells for $500 CAD!!! No way should it damage your gear.

My "dumb" M mount Novoflex is smooth as butter, and although a snug fit, has no hard sharp edges whatsoever. Nor does my 5D or 7D mounts! Metabones should be inspecting these themselves, as I have read others complain about the same thing, and not just on EF to FE mount adapters.

I'll let you guys know if/when the new mount comes, and if it's up to snuff. Meanwhile, I am left to replace the mount on my 40mm STM!

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow