Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Clark95
Regular MemberPosts: 461
Like?
80-400 VRII Comparison Advice to 300 f4 with 1.4 Teleconverter
8 months ago

I posted in a previous thread on how I am having focusing issues with my 300mm f4 AF-S which will be going to Nikon for repair. I have recently been thinking about the new 80-400 VRII, and how it compares specifically to the 300 f4 with the 1.4 teleconverter on. Now with my lens disabled, I am thinking a lot more about it. 95% of the time I use the 300mm it is with the teleconverter on. I find that I usually have it stopped down to f9 to get sharpness that I like.

Can anyone compare image quality between 400mm with the 80-400 and 420mm with the 300f4 x 1.4? If the quality is comparable, I may consider adding this lens, or after repaired, selling the 300mm and using the 80-400 solely. Additionally, has anyone used the 1.4 on the 80-400 and if so, how were the results? I’ve seen some posting online and the results look good- but I guess I won’t be able to truly tell unless I have one and can real look at the quality and detail myself.

Thanks for any advice.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow