Can FF lenses be used on ASPC cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284Gear list
Like?
Re: Can FF lenses be used on ASPC cameras?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

nevercat wrote:

Absence Of Faith wrote:

Can FE lenses be used on the current Nexes? If so, are there any drawbacks to using them?

Thanks.

FF lenses can be used on every E-mount camera, it does not matter if it is a camera with a FF sensor or one with a APS sized sensor.

The FE lenses (FF E-mount lenses work without adapter and, as far as I know without any real drawbacks IQ, or feature wise.

The only drawbacks for FF lenses are Size and Price (the will be larger and more expensive then APS lenses). So when size and /or priceis realy important go for APS lenses, otherwise you could buy both, when you buy FE lenses you will be able to use them on a FF E-mount camera and use the whole sensor, not only a crop part of it

plus when using FE glass on an APS-C camera, you are gaining a heavier lens, yet you are only the center portion of the lens.

Are there disadvantages when using only the center portion of the lens?

Actually, no. It is usually an advantage since lenses are optically at their best in the center. So, a FF lens on APSc will mostly use that part of the lens (think FF lenses as being overengineered for crop bodies).

The disadvantage could be cost as FF sensors are typically designed to a higher spec. But if you were shopping for an APSc prime for a Canon DSLR, for example, I doubt you will find even one APSc lens. Nikon has one (35/1.8).

As EinsteinsGhost said, by using only the center portion of the lens, you are essentially using the sharpest and best parts of the lens, but I iterate the idea of carrying extra glass comes at increased cost, plus added weight.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow