Forum ProPosts: 12,765Gear list
Like?
Re: NEW Fujifilm Camera!
In reply to photoreddi, 7 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

I've always been more of an Astia person myself...but these look nice. I agree, you probably could have gotten an extra 1/2 stop or so safely.

Thanks Dave. I have 5 rolls of Astia in my freezer. I'm not sure what to shoot with them as I have never used this film before. I know that it is good for portraits, but what else would you recommend that I use this film on?

-- hide signature --

"Film is not a means to the end of "looking like film"... Making film-based photographs is an end in itself for me, not some kind of elaborate photoshop plugin. If I can't put Tri-X in the goddamn thing, I don't want it."
Anonymous

It is nice for portraits in natural light. I actually like it as a landscape film because it has about 1 stop more dynamic range than Velvia....and the grain is a bit finer. It has been my goto film in 35mm and my Bessa R2a on many trips to Arizona. I bulked up and have nearly 400 rolls of 35mm and nearly 300 sheets in 4x5. I ran a test a couple of years ago and from a drum scan, it was grainless at 32x40....and sometimes 40x50.

That's impressive even if it's 4x5 you're talking about. That's a sheet of film that's 20 sq. inches, far larger than 35mm (135) film, 21 times larger. Ignoring aspect ratio differences, 32x40 is 1,280 sq.in. and 1/21th of that is just under 61 sq.in., so the same film would be able to produce similar "grainless" prints from SLRs at up to sizes of about 6.35x9.6".

It's no wonder that digital SLRs replaced film SLRs so quickly. I wonder how large prints can be made from D600 and D800 photos before the grain (pixels) can be seen. Surely it's much larger than 6.35x9.6".

And they will do it with less resolution and bayer interpolated color.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow