Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wolfgang Dempke
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
G1X MII vs Olympus Stylus 1
10 months ago

This could be comparing "apples and oranges", but please bear with me. I currently have a PS G11 and love it, with the exception of the 140 mm zoom limitations. I LIKE the size, the controls and image quality of the G11, I shoot jpegs only, might dabble in RAW. I take mostly landscape travel pictures, love close-up nature photography but also would like to take an occasional shot of a bird, butterfly or lizard with a longer lens. I post-process images in Elements 12. I am NOT going bigger, a DSLR or even bridge camera with long zoom is not acceptable for my 71 year old shoulders.

The 300 mm 35 equivalent of the Stylus 1 drew my attention. Sensor size is 1/1.7" like the G11. Now a bigger sensor is supposedly getting better quality, meaning more details and higher dynamic range. I understand this intuitively, but not on an optical physics level, I am "just" an electrical engineer.

Here is my question: If I took an image of a bird, lizard or rattle snake in "safe distance" of let's say 10 - 30 yards with the Stylus 1 at 300 mm, and then take the same image with the G1X II, would the bigger sensor of the G1X "buy" me enough details and sharpness taken at 120 mm max zoom that I could crop it in PSE 12 to the same object size the Stylus at 300 mm has, would I  have about the same image quality on the cropped image. I assume both being taken at highest resolution settings and the same ISO value.

Is there a way, short of buying both cameras and comparing them to assess this shooting situation by comparing the optical properties at the desk, or do I ask for the "impossible"?

Any suggestions to help me make this evaluation is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wolfgang. D.

Wolfgang Dempke's gear list:Wolfgang Dempke's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11
ANSWER:
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow