Cure my paralysis! Migrating to MFT...need lenses!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Opfor
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Cure my paralysis! Migrating to MFT...need lenses!
7 months ago

I am 99% convinced that a move to MFT is the right thing for me, but I would like to seek some input from those of you already in the camp. I have scoured previous posts and some of this has been addressed, but not all. For background, I have twin daughters who are almost two. When they were born I, of course, bought a “real” camera (a D5100). I quickly caught the bug and have enjoyed studying and practicing, but I am still for all practical purposes a beginner. One of the first things you realize is how important glass is and that’s my dilemma…I don’t really want to invest in DX glass, and I don’t want to deal with the size and cost of FF glass until I’m certain I want to invest in an FF system. I do admit to a bit of FF fever, but I don’t want to take that path until I see what the future holds for FF mirrorless systems. On the other hand, I really like the idea a smaller system. Even the D5100 draws stares if you are not in a place people typically photograph at. Ultimately (over the course of a few years) I see having two systems on hand…a smaller MFT system with a decent array of lenses that sees the bulk of the use, and FF system dedicated primarily to portraits. But right now I want to focus on assembling a good MFT system based around the Olympus E-M10. Deciding on a body was easy. The reviews seem glowing and I am not too big to admit that I quite simply think it is beautiful. But back to lenses…

…which set up seems like the better deal? Olympus 14-150 and the 45 1.8, or the Olympus 14-40 2.8 (refurbished) and the 40-150? Both options cost about the same, give or take a little. My concern is that as nice as the 14-40 must be, how is it for portrait work? I have only been able to find a couple examples online that demonstrate it’s bokeh ability. Honestly, I have never used ANY premium glass, so at this point all I know is what I read. I know it won’t be able to compete with a dedicated portrait lens, but if I go the 14-40 route I won’t be able to get another lens for a year, so it will have to serve double duty at least for a while. I guess bottom line…I can only afford two lenses to start off with, and one needs to be a superzoom. That leaves the debate between the 14-40 2.8 and the 45 1.8, and I simply do not have the experience to determine if the real world benefits of the pro glass overshadow a step down in portrait abilities. Any thoughts on this, or any thing else regarding lenses or the E-M10, would be greatly appreciated!

Opfor's gear list:Opfor's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Nikon D5100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow