Canon Withdrawing from Budget Compact Camera Market

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,888Gear list
Like?
Re: Great news... my thoughts on why...
In reply to Marco Nero, 5 months ago

Marco,

In addition to the issue of erosion of the low end market, there is also the battle for shelf space.  Few stores can carry the full line of more than 2 or 3 companies.  With Canon (and others) cutting back on the low end of their lines, it may just open a niche market for some less well known smaller companies in that area.  As you noted, there will still be a market for less expensive cameras.  I can imagine a smaller company being delighted with just 10% of Canon's low end sales.

We might also be seeing the beginnings of longer product cycles.  Creating a new model erery year in every line is terribly expensive.  The FZ200 and SX50HS seem to be on at least a 2 year cycle (unless they are dead end products).

By the way, I got myself an S95 and took it on a cruise to Antarctica.  It was with me all the time on shipboard and performed very well indeed.  THe decision to get the S95 and replace the similar S90 was largely triggered by the discussions following your post on the S120.  There was a lot of support for the S95.  I can see why - it's just that little bit better that makes a difference.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow