New G1X II Sample Images

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,671Gear list
Like?
Re: why f/6.3? tripod for shot #2?
In reply to CAcreeks, 10 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

I wonder if f/6.3 was chosen to maximize DOF. You would think that diffraction would start to be an issue at that aperture, but the architectural details are very sharp.

The EXIF maker notes say "Image Stabilization = 257." Do any Canon experts know what that means? You would think that the photographer would disable IS if on a tripod.

Remember that this is a large sensor camera, just a little smaller than APS-c.  So diffraction does not start on this camera until about f11.  F16 would be well into the diffraction region, but f6.3 would not.  That would be just fine.

I wondered about the image stabilization also and do not know what 257 means. Perhaps it is some code?  Anyway, I believe that Canon's new IS designs automatically detect when the camera is on a tripod and adapt.  The IS system has become intelligent and can detect tripods, or panning motion, etc, and set itself to proper function.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow