Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,573
Like?
Stalking a Snowy Owl Part 1 (9 photos)
7 months ago

My group and I found this Snowy Owl in a frozen over marina at a waterfront park, This owl is very hard to spot initially until you know what you're looking for. All shots in all 3 parts were with the Sigma 500mm F4.5 and Sigma 1.4x

This is how far away the owl was when it was first spotted, photo taken at 700mm (1050 equiv.) its like a 21x binoculars or spotting scope so you can imaging 1) how impossible it might be to spot with the naked eye and 2) how much closer my group would have to get for a decent photo.

100% (1:1) crop of the previous photo

Half our group circled around on the shore for a closer view as we weren't sure how thick the ice was

100% (1:1) crop of the previous photo

In this case we weren't bothering it, someone walking their dogs on the ice was getting too close for the snowies comfort

The Snowy flew right over us, I'm telling you it doesn't matter what system you have or how good you are no camera/person can track a BIF at 700mm coming straight towards you when it more than fills the frame.

Part 2 carries on as we follow the owl to where it landed

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow