Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VinceC
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Like?
Lightroom sharpening settings for E-M1
5 months ago

I have a E-M1 and 12-40mm lens, together with an E-M5 and several other (consumer and small prime) lenses. While I have no problems printing to A3 size, I feel that images from the E-M1 and 12-40 were slightly softer than images I am used to from the E-M5, so I contacted Olympus support in Europe and sent them a couple of samples. The reply I have got is:

"The soft focus is genuine to this model. The reason why this camera has the soft focus predefined in its firmware is because this camera is mostly used by professional photographers who prefer using soft focus and then using post processing methods to adjust the sharpness if needed."

I shoot in RAW and process in Lightroom 5.3.  My sharpening settings are the defaults,

Amount 25

Radius 1

Detail 25

Masking 0

I also have clarity and vibrance set at +15 and also use all the above settings for the E-M5.

Does anyone have any experience at optimising LR sharpening for the E-M1 (and E-M5)?  I am keen on getting good start points to set up presets to import images.

Please note - I am not knocking Olympus, I believe what they say is correct and want to get the best out of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Vince C

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow