New G1X II Sample Images

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,062Gear list
Like?
Defocus Effect in first sample...
In reply to requa, 10 months ago

requa wrote:

I looked but couldn't find this already posted. Please forgive (or delete) if this is a duplicate. I just ran across new sample photos added to the Canon USA site for the G1X II.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_G1X_Mark_II/sampleimg/original_sample_1.JPG

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_G1X_Mark_II/sampleimg/original_sample_2.JPG

It's all coming together in bits and pieces -- still waiting for a PDF of the user manual to go over. On the one hand, I'm already tired of all the hype and discussion. On the other, it's a little like anticipating Christmas. Enjoy

Dan

Interesting to see some examples of Background Defocus from this camera.  I experimented with this setting on another Canon cameras recently and have looked at samples from Sony.  I know they can't generate proper 'out of focus points of light' but cameras that can soften the backgrounds like this are probably going to become standard fare in the near future.
I note again that the effect is not perfect.  If you look at the shoulder of the woman in the first pic, and again at the edges of her clothing, there's a ghosting artifact against the background.  I personally find this too noticeable (and almost a little concerning at the ISO used on these samples) but the overall effect is initially impressive at first glance and I can see it being a top selling feature.

Keep the samples coming as you find them.  I am very interested in seeing what this new camera can do.  This is what we'll be sitting with for the next year or two as Canon's top PowerShot so i'm following the details as they are released.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow