Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,947Gear list
Like?
Prediction: Booming compact camera sales in three years
2 months ago

Lots of doom and gloom in the compact camera market these days. But I predict booming compact camera sales in three years. (maybe sooner) Once the price of one inch sensors comes down. And Canon/Nikon/Fuji/Olympus/Pentax/Panasonic catch up to Sony on miniaturizing. Also there are continual improvements in demosaicing algorithms and JPEG engines.

I think this because every parent I know I have seen be disappointed in the grainy picture quality and motion blur they get with indoor lighting of their kids with smart phones or compacts that have 1/2.3 inch sensor and f/3.5-f/5.6 lenses. There is a huge unmet market need and parents will spend on a camera if it takes good pictures of the kids and the camera is small enough for a purse or coat pocket. Word of mouth spreads really fast when others see you carrying around a nice looking small camera that takes good pictures.  I have been astonished by the interest my red Fuji XF1 gets.

Only Sony seems to be addressing this market with the RX100 and RX100ii and from what I read, that is a big seller. I recently got a Sony RX10 and at ISO12800 f/2.8, poor light, the pictures are okay. Not great of course. But good enough to satisfy most parents in many situations. How long can it be until other manufacturers get in the same game?   And they become smart enough to make the camera look good and be simple to use?  (Sony is not quite there yet though and still the RX100 sells well.)

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +22 more
Fujifilm XF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow