A77 Cold Weather AF Problem. Body or Lens Cause?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SteveJnerChicago
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?
A77 Cold Weather AF Problem. Body or Lens Cause?
7 months ago

Problem / Issue...
When shooting A77 in Continous AF Mode and Temp less than 23 degrees F, After about a half hour out in cold I find that the AF stops working. The focus is stopped at the last distance that the last picture was taken. Pressing the MF/AF button does not fix this. The only solution is to turn off the camera wait about 10 seconds (just to make sure it completely shuts down) and then turn it back on. Then it seems fine for a while but will happen again after less than a half hour. Note that this problem has occurred with both a Sony 70400G and an older Minolta AF 500f8 reflex lens.

Today in about 18 degree F temps I was shooting with a MInolta 600mm f4 G version and after about a half hour the same thing happened but this time turning off and restarting the A77 did not resolve the issue. I did continue shooting in Manual Focus mode though.

So I have several questions as to the possible cause(s)

Is the issue with the 500f8, 70400G and Minolta 600 f4 a result of something going afoul with the A77?

Or, Is it some flaw related to the A-mount screw drive design?

SteveJnerChicago's gear list:SteveJnerChicago's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 300mm F2.8 G +5 more
ANSWER:
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow