KennethKwok
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?
Are D700 owners buying D4s?
10 months ago

This is a casual chat for D700 owners who have not bought a newer camera,

whether we are buying the D4s or not.

oooooo     D700 already an OVERKILL for me oooooo

I had the D300, later swapped to D700, to shoot family photos of my now 4 and 8 year old daughters. The high ISO improvement in D700 was so pleasing.

I bring D700 out less often nowadays. I used to use the camera every day.

Maybe, the aged D700 is less attractive to me than the new D700 in 2009

I thought a Compact P7700 with SB800 would be as good as D700.

No, it's not. Despite the powerful SB800, P7700 + SB800 is still not as good in dark indoors than D700 + SB800.

Another thread said D700 is already VERY GOOD, even compared to the EXCELLENT
D610/D800/D4/Df. I don't have the newer camera. But am happy that the general consensus

the same as my feeling.

oooooo    WHAT ABOUT THE LENS   oooooo

I have accummulated many Nikon lens: 35/2D, 50/1.4G, 85/1.4G, 105/2.8Micro

18-35 G,24-70 G, 70-200 II

The traditional wisdom is to invest on lens, and not as much on bodies. That's

what I did.

So...  if it's really the plateau of Sensor development, do I just put those lens on

ONE camera, my trusty D700?

If I were to start again, I think mirrorless is better for me than D700. But mirrorless

were not as good then (2009) when I bought the D700. And I have accummulated

so many lens already. I don't want to sell them. The lens are expensive by itself. Also, it was hard to get some of those lens when I bought it. The 85/1.4G took a long time to ship.

ooooo   Cons of D4s oooooo

Thanks to another thread. D4 Owners said they don't miss the built in flash. D4s is heavier and larger. But if I had wanted smaller size, I just go with my compact P7700.

ooooo Is D4s a wise buy? ooooo

I regreted not buying the D800. It seems more suitable. And it's targeted to me, amateur (as opposed to photojournalist pro). But I did not buy it as there were bugs...  Left AF focus, green LCD screen.

I suspect that I would just feel very happy with D4s after the purchase.

I hope that I would not have buyer's remorse, "This D4s is so heavy that I never use it, and I regret buying it." I do use D700 + Grip MB-D10. It should be heavier than a D3, and it feels fine. So, i hope D4s is not so large that I don't want to use it.

I don't have the option of "making it smaller by removing the grip MB-D10". But as I said, if I wanted small, just bring the P7700, or use my smart phone.

I came to DPReview every day. I read all about D800, D800E... know of the Dead Battery syndrome, etc... (By the way, I haven't heard of any recent dead battery syndrome. Is that a disease of the past already?)

So, day in, day out, just read webpages, and become internet armchair expert...   In a way, i want "self-actualization". Just buy a D4s, and be done with it. As others said, "We only go around once."

KennethKwok's gear list:KennethKwok's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +3 more
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow