Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,713
Like?
Trying to understand Quattro better
7 months ago

Thanks to Laurence and Dick in particular, we now learnt that we would perceive little resolution difference between a 1:1:4 Quattro sensor and a classic 1:1:1 Foveon sensor even though the former has only a quarter of the R and G pixels. While Dick was talking about this counter intuitive phenomenon with reference to tiny phone camera sensors which have much smaller pixels, my understanding is that

• This phenomenon remains true regardless of the pixel size.
  • But the smaller the pixels, the greater the benefit of Quattro, as other factors come in to play.
  • There should be a point beyond which making pixels any smaller in the lower layers won’t gain more resolution as noise starts to more than off-set any theoretical resolution benefit with more pixels, and that’s when Quattro starts to really shine.

If my understanding is correct, then how small is that critical pixel size? Has Quattro reached that size?

I’m also curious why a typical Bayer sensor wouldn’t also benefit from this “trick” of laying a high resolution luma layer over the lower resolution colour layer. Or would it? A 24MP Bayer sensor, for example, has 6M R and B pixels respectively, more than the Quattro has in R and G. Why should’t it have higher perceived resolution than Quattro and yet retain all the other benefits Bayer always has?

Then, how about a 2 layer hybrid sensor? It would consist a top layer for B just like Foveon, and a R and G bottom layer with CFA in between just for the two colours. Compared to classic Bayer, R pixels would be doubled, B quadrupled while G remains the same. Does it make even more sense?

-- hide signature --

Maple

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow