Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Masking in PP problem
In reply to Erik Ohlson, 6 months ago

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Darrell Spreen wrote:

Briansdad1 wrote:

Does anyone know techniques that would improve on results?

My technique is pretty much the same as KKardster's and is time-consuming. However, I have one extra trick I have used which I thought worked very well. When I have finished the selection the best I can and have the (almost) finished picture, I use about a 70% blur brush with a very small radius and go around the outline of the person -- usually twice or three times. This obviously blurs the outline edge of the person, but it also blends the edge into the background and makes the transition much less noticeable.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

I'm not sure - I have not tried your method - but I may get similar results by blurring different parts of the background at different amounts, and selectively blurring some areas with the "Blur-(brush)" tool, rather than blur-filters.

We may be describing the same thing in different words.

Basically, I'll blur a sort of "Halo" around the head only a little - then maybe a wider halo and then the rest, or just the rest of the background. Sort of trying to reproduce what limited depth of field does, by having the parts closer to the subject less out-of focus than things farther away.

I like this idea. I've always just gone for an more even blur.

Then the blur brush to specific things in the background that stand out too much.

Individual hairs can be a REAL problem, and I'm not above trimming a few,

Been there, done that.

and emphasizing some which are easier to deal with so the observer sees hairs and so (hopefully) doesn't notice how few are there.

I've even created a few rather than try to trace a mask exactly over the barely visable hairs already there,

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Fujifilm FinePix S5700 Zoom +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow