Cannon Powershot D30 -- Been waiting 25 Years for this!!!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Cannon Powershot D30 -- Been waiting 25 Years for this!!!
In reply to Ken G., 10 months ago

Ken G. wrote:

I'm sure that's definitely true in low light situations, where no doubt the Oly would shine. I will only be using the camera in bright daylight situations (mainly snorkeling/kayaking), which is where and how I compared the 2, and Nikon edged out the Oly in maintaining better detail. I will say I liked the Olympus' layout more.

That was the big advantage of the TG-1 for me - the expanded "comfort envelope".  It actually has issues in direct sunlight (the camera enables the 3-stop ND filter when it could've set faster exposure instead, so the shutter speed drops unexpectedly).  But in less-than-perfect light it's head and shoulders above the rest.

I believe most of the tough waterproofs will give very similar results overall.

Agreed. My usual recommendation about the "toughcams" is to avoid them at all costs.  They are very specialized and make a lot of compromises.  But for some situations - like action sports - that's the only way to take any picture at all.

-- hide signature --

Camera gear in profile.
Ken G.
http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow