Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chary zp
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
Sigma 18-35 vs Nikkor 35/2 different exposures
9 months ago

I was fiddling with the new Sigma 18-35/1.8 for about an hour today. I tried it at my local stone shop. I am rather disappointed by the inconsistent AF fine tune requirements at different focal lengths and focusing distances as compared by the LV-AF method. Could there be sample variation or is it design issue? But this would make a different story...

I wanted to make comparison with my 35/2 to see how much would I probably gain shooting wide open in interiors as I am about to shoot one indoor concert-like event. I didn't notice it in the shop, if I did, I would have made more and more precise tests

The Nikkor is T2.1, Sigma is T1,9 according to DxO. So I was quite surprised to see the shot from Sigma to be at 1/3EV longer shutter time than the Nikkor - 1/80 F1.8 x 1/100 F2.0. I would expect it to be the other way round. The scene is not absolutely identical, but the exposure of the central area is more or less the same. I have checked the 1:1 Brightness values of the orange camera bag (blown) and the yellow paper below it and it is about 1% away from each other. Definitely not 2/3EV away from each other. Aperture mode, flat metering (not spot).

How would you explain that?

The images are resized for bandwidth reasons, full exif kept.

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow