Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,204Gear list
Like?
Now isn't this something - an old lens that tends to beguile
8 months ago

There are literally hundreds of lenses being talked about every day on the various forums - oftentimes, it's one of several that keep the conversations going.

But folks, I've got to tell you - one old (and very inexpensive) lens that has me turning my head in admiration is that old Zuiko 14-45 that came out with the E-300. At one time I used to look at that old kit lens with a bit of snobbery. After all, I had the 14-54, followed by the 12-60, so that 14-45 was maintained in a "drawer" status. But 4-5 months ago, I was bored and brought it out and stuck it on my E-520 and began shooting - initially not expecting much.

The results were absolutely superb. I had to double check that I had the 14-45 on there because I at first wrongly assumed that I still had the 14-54 on the camera. And no, it wasn't some premature assumption on my part (and no, I wasn't shooting cats). All I can say is that this old kit lens can be stunning. Now I'm sure there are variations in copies that would lead some to counter argue. But I was just stunned by the beauty of images that this baby can capture. Then I compared it with the newer 14-42 all plastic kit lenses that replaced it, and I just shook my head in amazement. So a few months ago I went on eBay and found two that I won for $60 or less (all mint) - now that's a bargain.

How many of you feel the same way about the 14-45? I say if you can find one, get it - it definitely won't break the bank! And it was a wonderful metal mount.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +28 more
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow