Help Choosing New-To-Me Pentax DSLR

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087Gear list
Like?
Re: Help Choosing New-To-Me Pentax DSLR
In reply to nathani, 8 months ago

nathani wrote:

I'm a photography enthusiast who shoots mostly landscapes and pictures of my daughter. I'm moderately invested in the Pentax system with 4 lenses (10-20mm, 18-55mm, 50mm, 70-300mm). My K10D has served me well, but I haven't been shooting much lately because my 2 stage button has very little first stage and I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the autofocus on the K10D. I see that I have a few upgrade options through the used market.

K-7: $280

K-5: $475

K-5II: $600

K-5IIs: $800+ship+tax (new)

I've read the reviews but have a hard time putting a dollar value on the features. I lean towards the K-5. I know the II has better autofocus and LCD, but is it $125 better than the K-5? I can't imagine that the IIs is worth $200+ship+tax over the II. And is the K-5 worth $195 over the K-7?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yep, the K5II and the K5IIs AF system is worth every penny compared to the old K5II. It is as quick but it is much much more accurate and it can AF on -3EV (The AF-S is even quicker than the D7100 on very low light).

If you shoot landscapes, the K5IIs is a better option because of the removal of the AA filter which helps it take very detailed shots over the K5II.

But if you are gonna splurge, get the K3, 24mp AA less sensor, improved AF system than the K5II and K5IIs especially on tracking

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow