X-E1 vs X-M1 for novice

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jeremyclarke
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 vs X-M1 for novice
In reply to vargan8, 7 months ago

vargan8 wrote:

The first lens I intend to get is the XF 35mm.

And considering that its cheaper to buy a kit and that E1 has comes with a better kit lens, another reason I'm leaning toward it.

The lens you'll get with the X-E1 is way better which is a huge factor, especially because currently the kit lens is effectively on a huge discount because the discontinued X-E1 body is dragging the kit's price down like an anchor. Right now the 18-55 is the bestlens that Fuji makes! (though it won't be once the 2.8 constant aperture zooms are released )

Since you're not used to DSLRs I'll point out that the difference between f/3.5-5.6 and f/2.8-4 seems small, but is actually an enormous improvement. Among Canon lenses such an improvement could easily be a $500 price difference between two lenses (in which case you'd also get a huge improvement in the rest of the lens optics, which is the same with the two Fuji lenses, the XF version is not just faster, it's considered sharper and faster-to-focus too).

All that said, if possible it would be good for you to try both cameras powered on before deciding. The X-M1 doesn't have dials specifically dedicated to shutter speed or exposure compensation, but it does have two dials that should give really good manual control, so you won't be trapped in auto mode with either camera. Most other MILCs have similar "generic" dials that have different functions in different contexts, and as all the important info will be visible on the LCD you can still teach yourself about manual camera operation.

The big difference is the EVF v. tiltable LCD, which might come down to preference. You also shouldn't write off the benefit of face detection, as the "multi" autofocus mode on the X-E1 (i.e. let the camera guess a focus spot instead of specifying it manually) is considered near-useless by most users.

The X-E1 allows auto mode, but IMHO it truly is a camera designed for people who want to not only have manual control, but to think about it and grok it whenever they use the camera. Sure you can set it to auto and hand it to someone, but you'll probably want to change as many as 4 different settings first (set aperture to auto, set shutter to auto, set ISO to auto and set AF to "multi"). That's a far cry from slamming a mode dial to "Auto" and passing it over, but it's the cost of using a camera that is fully optimized for manual usage.

Personally I love the way the X-E1 looks and feels, and as a photo nerd it hits all my buttons, but if I didn't know about the many relationships between ISO/shutter/aperture/exp-comp and didn't want to study them, it would not be the right camera for me.

Sidenote: It's fun to notice how many X-E1 enthusiasts out there seem to be 50+ years old. It definitely appeals to the people who started shooting before automatic/digital cameras were any good

jeremyclarke's gear list:jeremyclarke's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 450D +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow