X-E1 vs X-M1 for novice

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
321estrellas
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 vs X-M1 for novice
In reply to vargan8, 8 months ago

If you're looking to replace your P&S, maybe the X-M1 is for you. It's compact and geared towards the consumer audience, but still has similar functionality and quality as higher end bodies. Seems like the only advantage the X-E1 has is the viewfinder, which if it doesn't matter to you, then is probably not a factor.

Nothing wrong with a big jump from P&S to X-E1 or even DSLR. Before the mirrorless craze, it seems like P&S and DSLR were the only options so many of us had to make the big jump at some point. Full manual can be done on both X-E1 and X-M1, just handled a bit differently. Same principles will apply no matter what camera you use.

The bodies alone, right now, are probably about the same price -- that is, new X-M1 and used X-E1. Personally, I went with the X-M1 because size/weight was a major factor for me. I have a DSLR if I need all the bells and whistles. In addition, the X-M1 has a newer processor, tilting screen, and coming from the EOS M, the lack of viewfinder didn't bother me either (although, ironically, when I opened up my X-M1 for the first time and tried to take a picture, my eye naturally went up close as if there was a viewfinder...same thing happened when I first opened my EOS M! Haha. But I quickly adjusted).

Try out both cameras again and hopefully to a place that will let you power them on. I've never held an X-E1 so I don't know the button/layout/feel differences but try it all if you can.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either camera!

321estrellas's gear list:321estrellas's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow