Latest data on the health of the camera industry.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,888Gear list
Like?
Latest data on the health of the camera industry.
5 months ago

DPReview just posted some numbers on four Japanese "camera" companies.  Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and Olympus.  At least we think of them as camera companies.  But a look at the numbers in the article shows three of them are large corporations that also make cameras, not quite the same thing. You can also add Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, and Ricoh to that list.

Canon only makes 26.1% of it's income from cameras,  Olympus 14.6%, and Fuji only 3.5%.  Only Nikon is above 50% at 76.5%.  The only true "camera company" in the group.

Canon is making money in cameras, Olympus is losing money, and Fuji isn't really saying.  All four show a decline in sales by volume over the last 3 months of 2013.  But Nikon is by far the most dependent on cameras.  They are going to have to stay with cameras for a long time to come, and need to work hard to find a way to offset the declining sales in cameras of all types.

Lots of times you see the term Canikon, as if the two companies were so similar as to be one.  That may be true from a camera product line standpoint; but they are dramatically different as corporations.  Canon's Imaging Systems business is slightly larger than Nikon's total business; and Canon's total business is nearly 4x Nikon's.  Oly's total is 2x Nikon's.  Surprisingly, Fuji's total is 80% larger than Canon's.

I suppose there should be some deep point to this post.  There really isn't.  I just wanted to post this and a few of my thoughts about the article DPR posted.

If this interests you; please join in.  If it's not your thing, that's fine, too - just save the flames for something else that you're really passionate about.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow