Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?
In reply to hoakin1981, 8 months ago

Is medium format fun? certainly; it's a whole different type of photography; exercises "muscles" you didn't know you had.... learning to properly expose without a meter is always useful, and learning to (or trying to) visualize your photo before pressing the shutter button (without chimping the previous shot) is priceless.

Is it advisable? well..... it's a lot of work in general, the cameras can be incredibly heavy to lug around, and it isn't necessarily cheap.

Shaggy dog version:

I got into film again about 5 years ago when I found an old Koni-Omega Rapid (a common 6X7 cm wedding camera from the 50's-60's, cost ~$200) a 6X6 folder from the 60's ($20) and an ancient folding Voightlander 6X9 ($30). The folding cameras had poor lenses and light leaks, I would have been better off with a Holga. The Koni-Omega is a different story entirely - the lens was as sharp as anything you can name; solid as cast iron but weighs 5 lbs (!); and no exposure meter - I got an ancient meter off flea-bay for about $25.

I put about 30 rolls of B&W through them; I set up a mini-darkroom for B&W with a change bag and a tank. I used the simplest/most fool-proof processor I could find, diluted D-76; it was really easy once I got the hang of it. My best results were with B&W - incredibly sharp and wonderful tonality; like nothing I could get from my 8 MP dSLR at the time. However it was very time consuming; it took several hours to develop, dry and scan each roll.

I shot about 20 rolls of C-41, it was trivial to get processed - I simply took it to the local Walmart, they had a 120 film adapter in a drawer that they could use to put it through their Fuji machine. Took 20 minutes and cost $6/roll; I never had any problems, other than convincing whatever young tech was there to look in the drawer for the adapter. Unfortunately I don't know whether Walmart still has film developers in stores.... For convenience this was easily the best choice; I could shoot a couple rolls in the late afternoon and I was scanning them in the evening.

I tried a couple rolls of Velvia 50 - but E-6 film was very expensive, and it cost about $16/roll to develop (without frames); the results were beautiful but I couldn't afford it. The pro shop stopped doing developing in-house, and it had to be sent away - took a couple weeks.

I scanned my negatives with an Epson 4990; it did a remarkable job; I could print 16X20 without any problems. If I really wanted to I could have oil mounted the negatives and gone a lot farther, but frankly I just didn't get anything worth fussing that much over.

My total investment in medium format was about $800, including equipment, film, developing and scanner. After about 3 months I took a look back at my results; it was clear that MF film was able to give me gorgeous results (far better than anything digital at the time) but I just wasn't getting any shots I really wanted to print; it was too big to cart around every day and taking it on vacation (where almost all of my best shots are taken - location, location, location.....) was out of the question.

When I moved to a new (much busier) career I just never found time for it any more; I still have the equipment and a few films in the freezer, but at the rate technology is advancing by the time I get back into it, it'll be pointless - the new generation of FF cameras are producing photos easily as good as what I was getting, with a lot less fuss; in 5-10 years m4/3 will likely be just as capable.

So, there's my two bits.

Colin.

-- hide signature --

Quaecumque vera doce me quot homines tot sententiae autem.

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 LG G3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow