Jonny Boyd
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: Duck, duck, goose.
In reply to tt321, 8 months ago

tt321 wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:

Close.

'The diffraction limit for a system occurs at the aperture at which any further reduction in settable aperture size will cause a visible decrease in image resolution.'

'for a system' clarifies that the sensor resolution and viewing method are factors.

'settable aperture size' allows for the fact that different lenses have different limitations on how precisely the aperture is controlled.

You do realize that for practical purpose, this definition of 'diffraction limit' has zero meaning for cross-system comparisons, esp. regarding systems with the same sensor size but different sensor pixel counts (i.e. different physical pixel sizes)?

Who ever mentioned cross-system comparisons? Though the work I've done looks at sensor resolution without specifying sensor size.

And more specifically, the particular interpretation that sensors with higher pixel counts are somehow worse than those with lower pixel counts because one could notice the 'visible diffraction limit' earlier is pure nonsense.

I'm baffled as to why you would need to say that when it has repeatedly been affirmed over and over and over again. I mean really, where did anyone ever suggest that a higher pixel count would produce a worse image? I'm sick of that being thrown out as if anyone had made the claim.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow